Error Message (new to oracle)
tolcis
2007-01-31 14:33:44 UTC
Hi!

I am new to oracle so this question might sounds easy. When I
installed oracle I set up passwords for SYS and SYSTEM accounts. When
I start sqlplus from command line and try to log in using SYS it gives
me the error messages:
SP2-0306: Invalid option.
Usage: CONN[ECT] [logon] [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER}]
Enter user-name:

I can however use sys account to log in to database management page.
Also, when I click on iSQLPlus connection from the database management
page I am not able to log in using SYS or SYSTEM account.

Any ideas?

Thank you,
Ton.
gazzag
2007-01-31 14:42:49 UTC
Post by tolcis
Hi!
I am new to oracle so this question might sounds easy. When I
installed oracle I set up passwords for SYS and SYSTEM accounts. When
I start sqlplus from command line and try to log in using SYS it gives
SP2-0306: Invalid option.
Usage: CONN[ECT] [logon] [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER}]
I can however use sys account to log in to database management page.
Also, when I click on iSQLPlus connection from the database management
page I am not able to log in using SYS or SYSTEM account.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ton.
Could you please post a Copy & Paste of the session from where you
first start SQL*Plus?

-g
tolcis
2007-01-31 15:27:55 UTC
Post by gazzag
Post by tolcis
Hi!
I am new to oracle so this question might sounds easy. When I
installed oracle I set up passwords for SYS and SYSTEM accounts. When
I start sqlplus from command line and try to log in using SYS it gives
SP2-0306: Invalid option.
Usage: CONN[ECT] [logon] [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER}]
I can however use sys account to log in to database management page.
Also, when I click on iSQLPlus connection from the database management
page I am not able to log in using SYS or SYSTEM account.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ton.
Could you please post a Copy & Paste of the session from where you
first start SQL*Plus?
-g
Not sure what you mean. It is a windows machine. I click on Start,
Run, type sqlplus and it gets me to a command prompt.
Krish
2007-01-31 15:45:49 UTC
Hi
Looks like you are trying the following comand:

SQL> connect \ as sysdba

Try this to connect:

SQL> connect / as sysdba

Cheers,
Krish
Frank van Bortel
2007-01-31 19:30:26 UTC
Post by Krish
Hi
SQL> connect \ as sysdba
SQL> connect / as sysdba
Cheers,
Krish
I think the oP tried 'connect sys/password', and the error
is because a connect as sys (or '/') should always specify
sysdba or sysoper - as you demonstrated.
--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...
Ana C. Dent
2007-01-31 16:00:10 UTC
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by gazzag
Post by tolcis
page I am not able to log in using SYS or SYSTEM account.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ton.
Could you please post a Copy & Paste of the session from where you
first start SQL*Plus?
-g
Not sure what you mean. It is a windows machine. I click on Start,
Run, type sqlplus and it gets me to a command prompt.
instead of typing "sqplus" type "cmd"
which opens a command window.
from there type "sqlplus"
Now you'll be able to cut & paste the whole interaction
DA Morgan
2007-01-31 17:13:49 UTC
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
/
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by gazzag
Post by tolcis
page I am not able to log in using SYS or SYSTEM account.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ton.
Could you please post a Copy & Paste of the session from where you
first start SQL*Plus?
-g
Not sure what you mean. It is a windows machine. I click on Start,
Run, type sqlplus and it gets me to a command prompt.
instead of typing "sqplus" type "cmd"
which opens a command window.
from there type "sqlplus"
Now you'll be able to cut & paste the whole interaction
Or perhaps ... sqlplusw. ;-)
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
www.psoug.org
tolcis
2007-01-31 18:43:39 UTC
Post by DA Morgan
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by gazzag
Post by tolcis
page I am not able to log in using SYS or SYSTEM account.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ton.
Could you please post a Copy & Paste of the session from where you
first start SQL*Plus?
-g
Not sure what you mean. It is a windows machine. I click on Start,
Run, type sqlplus and it gets me to a command prompt.
instead of typing "sqplus" type "cmd"
which opens a command window.
from there type "sqlplus"
Now you'll be able to cut & paste the whole interaction
Or perhaps ... sqlplusw. ;-)
--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington
(replace x with u to respond)
Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org
When I type sqlplusw I get a screen to login as a user, type in
password and input connection string. That doesn't work for me
either.
Terry Dykstra
2007-01-31 19:57:35 UTC
Post by tolcis
Post by DA Morgan
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by gazzag
Post by tolcis
[...]
Create a shortcut to sqlplus/sqlplusw and add the /nolog parameter.
Now when you login you just get a prompt, at which point you can enter:
connect ***@dbname/pwd as sysdba
Terry Dykstra
tolcis
2007-01-31 18:42:04 UTC
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by tolcis
Post by gazzag
Post by tolcis
page I am not able to log in using SYS or SYSTEM account.
Any ideas?
Thank you,
Ton.
Could you please post a Copy & Paste of the session from where you
first start SQL*Plus?
-g
Not sure what you mean. It is a windows machine. I click on Start,
Run, type sqlplus and it gets me to a command prompt.
instead of typing "sqplus" type "cmd"
which opens a command window.
from there type "sqlplus"
Now you'll be able to cut & paste the whole interaction
Here you go:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Jan 31 13:41:10 2007

Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: sys
Enter password:
Enter user-name:
DA Morgan
2007-01-31 20:54:04 UTC
Post by tolcis
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
C:\Documents and Settings\user>sqlplus
SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production on Wed Jan 31 13:41:10 2007
Copyright (c) 1982, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved.
Enter user-name: sys
SP2-0306: Invalid option.
Usage: CONN[ECT] [logon] [AS {SYSDBA|SYSOPER}]
SYS is not a valid login ... it must be as SYSDBA or SYSOPER

Instead do this:

/ AS SYSDBA
and provide no other information. Just click Ok.
www.psoug.org
tolcis