Saving / Eporting Ora 9i DB via ODBC in .dmp file
Marcus Exner
2004-06-02 17:16:04 UTC
Hi Together!

We have here a Java Application which is connected to an Oracle 9i DB
via ODBC.

For saving different version of the content in the DB we used the
oracle export tool and saved the DB in a .dmp file. We are doing this
via a script in a seperate SQLplus window, with has nothing to do with
the Java App.

No we would like to do this via a Button in the Java Application.

We thought about the following maybe solutions:

1. Doing this Export/Import stuff via an SQL Statement. This would be
nice, but I think it is not possible. I searched a lot of documetation
but doing something like that I couldn't find. (Or does anyone know if
this is possible)
But I think no - this is not the purpose of SQL and I would be very
suprised if there is a possibility. But it would be so easy *sight*

2. Writing a stored procedure. Mmmmm - I haven't done this bevore and
don't know much about it. Would this be a way??? Any suggestions from
an expert??

3. Writing a servlet which does the stuff we do on the console so far.
Ok this would work but we would like to avoid running a server for
just one servlet and then the authorization problem - no there must be
another way.

4.????

So, my question now - how would you do this? Any experts who could
help me an have a good idea how to do this. We are open also to
complete other solutions, just give us some input.
Thanks a lot in advance with
kind regards
marcus
D.J. Platt
2004-06-03 01:58:57 UTC
Why not run 'exp' as an external program. The following link shows an
example of how this can be done.

http://www.devdaily.com/java/edu/pj/pj010016/pj010016.shtml

If the machine the Java application lives on is not the database server you
will need to install an Oracle client on it.
Post by Marcus Exner
[...]
begin 666 Learn Java Running external commands in Java applications.url
M6T1%1D%53%1=#0I"05-%55),/6AT=' Z+R]W=W<N9&5V9&%I;'DN8V]M+VIA
M=F$O961U+W!J+W!J,#$P,#$V+W!J,#$P,#$V+G-H=&UL#0I;26YT97)N9713
M:&]R=&-U=%T-"E523#UH='1P.B\O=W=W+F1E=F1A:6QY+F-O;2]J879A+V5D
M=2]P:B]P:C Q,# Q-B]P:C Q,# Q-BYS:'1M; T*36]D:69I960].#!$,#$T
.13<P1#0Y0S0P,38V#0H`
`
end